Thursday, May 19, 2011

What I did on my 14,975th day...

Today I turned 41. 

According to THIS SITE that means I have lived 14,975 days.

Calculated out that means I have also lived...
  • 359,400 hours or
  • 21,564,000 minutes or
  • 1,293,840,000 seconds 
Sheesh.  No wonder I'm tired.

Anyway....this is what my 14,975th day looked like:


5:00AM ....I got up! 



Fed "Sponge" our Cat (I think my birthday wish is to be HIM for a day!).  Here he is sleeping in a basket of laundry:


Made some COFFEE (Ahhh...French Vanilla...a favorite)!!!



5:30AM-6:30AM Prayer, Reading...

This year I have been using Robert Murray M'Cheyne's daily Bible reading plan.  In addition, I usually begin with a devotional reading, which happens to be George Whitefield at the moment.  Also, I try to read a section or two from the OPC book of church order every day.  Portions of this book were updated in 2011, and I need to familiarize myself with it.  I also spent a little time looking again at C.S. Lewis' book, The Great Divorce, as I hope to start up our discussion group on this book shortly.  Below is my messy desk/table down in my office (aka the basement). 


 7:00AM or thereabouts...I began my work day.  I work from home for Fingertip Formulary.


My daughter Kathryn (who, along with Joshua, are homeschooled) under the close supervision of my dear wife Bonnie, made me some cinnamon toast and fruit salad for a "Happy Birthday" breakfast! 



I continued working.  I didn't take a day off for my birthday.  Poor me.  LOL.

Joshua brought me down a couple pictures he drew for me.  Apparently the big one is a monster.  This was a relief, as I thought it was ME at first.  He told me the monster wants to eat us, but I think he looks rather friendly.



I paused for a short time to finalize and sign a contract for getting our septic system repaired.  Good 'ole Title V!  Yes, a septic system that is working just fine...BUT...apparently falls below 2011 standards.  Thankfully there is a pretty decent tax credit for the replacement...so that takes a "little" of the pain away.  I solicited quotes for 6 contractors.  I went with the best quote.  Today he gets his first payment.  Talk about literally "flushing" away your money....

For those of you who have town sewer...and have no idea what a septic system is...good for you!!  But here is a basic sketch:



12:00 Noon - Lunch Break.  Off to the gym.  I have been running for the past 4 weeks.  Please don't ask me if I have lost any weight.  It is a bit depressing.  I start to exercise...and my basal metabolism goes to zero.  Really.  I'm serious. 





1:30PM - Back to work researching authorization criteria for DPP-4 inhibitors and discussing the clinical categories appropriate for some newer oral contraceptives.  Sounds fun, huh? 


5:00PM - Got word that Joshua's AA baseball game for the evening is cancelled due to the rain.  Bad news for Joshua.  BUT....that means we can go "out" for my birthday dinner.  I get to pick the place.  And yes...it will be 5 GUYS BURGERS AND FRIES!!!!  There goes all my running down the drain...

5:30PM - Done with "work" for the day.  Ahhhhh.

6:00PM - Off to 5 Guys Burgers & Fries!!  Bonnie, Evan, Sarah, Kathryn, Joshua and I jump into the van and head to Worcester. 






7:30PM - Back home.  My family now insists that I open presents.  They are so kind to me.  Little do they know that, next to my Savior, they themselves are the most precious gifts I have ever received.
 

Below is what they gave me.  In case you are wondering, the series of books in the middle is the 4 Volume set entitled "The Christian's Reasonable Service" by Wilhelmus à Brakel (1635-1711).  Bonnie knows I have had my eye on this set for some time.  I am really eager to begin working on it.  The "Dad" letter is a poem written by my daughter Sarah.  I scan it and paste it in below. 



8:00PM - My brother calls from Michigan.  His whole dear family sang "Happy Birthday" to me over the phone.  We are so much looking forward to seeing Aaron, Lisa and all their kids in a few weeks.  I also got calls from my parents and my wonderful in-laws as well. 

8:15PM - 10:00PM

Watching the Boston Bruins at Tampa game 3 Eastern Conference Finals with Evan and Joshua. 



And it couldn't be "birthday" without a chocolate cake (home made by Bonnie of course!).




And thus my birthday comes to a close.  I wonder what I'll do on day 14,976?


Here is the poem from my daughter Sarah:


"But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through Jesus Christ our Lord."
1 Corinthians 15:57























No comments: